Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Neighbours and Me!

During those war years, I had some neighbours who liked me to go over there, whenever I had time...which was quite often. They liked to hear my news, and always brought out the "sweet-tin" (candy jar).I always took my time to study all the possibilities before choosing one. If I was given anything new ,which was rare, I would beg to go and show the Kempsters. This family was made up of an old mother, who always sat in her chair, and was waited on by her two spinster daughters, Renee and Grace. There is a photo of me and my Mum, sitting in their garden.These ladies professed to be man-haters, but I was amused that whenever their nephew,(a pilot), came to stay for a couple of days, they fussed and fumed to have everything just so for his visit! I think any child loves to have some where to go where there is undivided attention. In a way they were somewhat like grand-parents to me, since 3 of my g'parents had died before I was born, and the last one, a G'mother, died when I was 2yrs. I kept in touch with the Kempsters by Christmas cards for over 10yrs. after John and I got married. During those childhood years, they were a very comfortable and old-fashioned memory in my little life.

No comments:

Post a Comment